Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Pacific Part One: Guadalcanal/Leckie

This, hands-down, is a great episode. And with me surveying this show, really, there is a catch. I haven't watched Band of Brothers yet (I'm planning to, don't worry), so I won't get to compare this and that with The Pacific. The possibility of owning at least one of the memoirs used in this series is also far from happening. Despite all that, I am delighted to have watched this. In some such way, it brought back my interest in war and history. And frankly, I haven't been so engrossed with either one for quite some time.

To be honest, I never really enjoyed the earlier parts of the show: I thought the explosions between the battling navies were a bit dire; I constantly got the characters mixed up; the war was extremely chaotic and messy. However, things silently turn around after the first twenty minutes or so when Leckie begins writing to Vera. He is becoming the most favorable character I've seen since. It also was nice to see William Sadler. Cripes, I loved that guy in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey! I will now come to recognize him as Chesty, the colonel in charge of the NCO's.

I like how every dialogue is delivered. All in all, they are exciting, hilarious and sarcastic. Even for the first partings, they never left that comic path. Also, I can say that the Japs had their own side of the story. It was awful how the Marines killed the repenting soldier just like that. It has only been Day One and we can already observe the change that is mutely showering upon these combatants.

I am happy with this first episode, really. I'm glad that I never forgot it nor had I flipped it. When I first thought about watching this, I never really expected anything. And now I am looking forward to the next more episodes. I'd like to see Eugene Sledge enlisted with Sidney Phillips. I think that would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment