Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Pacific Part Six: Peleliu Airfield

I applaud The Pacific for doing such a tremendous job so far. I cannot imagine having to go through the same turmoil as these guys did. One Marine depicted the war in Peleliu as an experience so frightening that it might have just been a “horror show”. And truly, just watching the episode alone and seeing corpses almost everywhere, I find my propensity towards combat act up again. I felt as though I was stepping into a nightmare myself before being eaten completely alive by the monster at the opposite end. Part Six defined that, most definitely. The Marines not only had to cross the airfield to get to the other side, but they also had to dodge the booby traps situated by the astoundingly clever Japs. And these aren’t just ordinary bullets or bombs and whatnot: the Japanese resistance was exceptionally fierce. The only worse things than Peleliu’s temperature exceeding to a hundred day after day, were lack of water and thirst constantly moving stealthily in.

Water was a very huge issue. Everyone was thinking about it (well that, I can relate to). This matter was exacted by a Marine at the beginning of this episode: you can go on without food for days, but never without water. And the heat was awful. It was a hundred and fifteen, as documented in Eugene Sledge’s record book. In the previous installment, I heard Robert Leckie mention to Runner that he was already thirsty. Well this time, his longing has terribly increased. Heck, his comrades watched as he eagerly searched a dead Marine, hoping he could get some water from his canteen! Don’t get me wrong, Peleliu wasn’t completely desiccated – there was water, yes. The only problem was that the Japs had “poisoned” it. If seeing the lips of every Marine completely white from dehydration was bad enough, just imagine the disappointment when one of the combatants lifted the head of a decapitated goat from a small brook. Some of the pitiful scenes include Sledge and his friends passing around a canteen of water, and Snafu offering Eugene a cigarette butt – and (much to my surprise) Mr. I-Don't-Smoke took it just to quench his thirst.

I also am beginning to notice Sledge and Snafu getting along fine with each other. I never thought that both guys would actually make a good team, or at least be comfortable in the the other's company. The more surprising thing is that Snafu seems to be the more engrossed one, even one time admitting that he practically observed Sledge reading and writing some night since. When they were firing ammo at the Jap territories across the airfield, there was a momentary cut in which they seemed like old buddies who completely understand one another. Another one was Sledge helping Snafu when he plummeted from a nearby explosion. This amity was once more seen when Snafu backed Sledge's remarks regarding Captain Hillbilly Jones's verdict of killing a Marine having an incongruous nightmare. Through this harmony, Sledge would also earn his nickname “Sledgehammer”. Moreover, Rami Malek still plays his downbeat role wonderfully (“no asswipes, no chow, no water”).

Speaking of Eugene Sledge’s friends, Sidney Phillips actually made it safely back home. In the beginning of the episode, he would appear in the Sledge household to have dinner with Eugene’s folks. While he might have convinced Mr. and Mrs. Sledge that their Eugene is a mortar man (hence, is behind the “hot stuff”) and that he’s not worried about his boyhood pal, I thought Sid was rather uneasy and/or uncertain himself.

The most shocking events were depicted as the Marines were crossing the airfield. It was horrific. So many men got killed; casualties gradually increased by the numbers. There was still no word from Hoosier - and Runner already got hit! The scene was heartbreaking because it justified the exclamation point of Leckie’s efforts to empathize for his friends. He went back after successfully crossing the airfield just so he can seek medical attention for Runner. I was, without a doubt, upset and taken aback when he got hit himself. And seeing Leckie snivel in agony at a medical ship with blood jetting from his mouth, I admit that it dismayed me.

Moreover, Ack-Ack’s group was successful in crossing the airfield. But not everyone remained in perfect condition; Oswalt suffered major injuries, giving the group more men to update with. The sound of the planes whizzing past the airfield made the hairs at the back of my neck stand up. Sledge himself admits that until he crossed that turf, he had never been more scared his entire life. I thought Scott Gibson did a great job portraying Captain Ack-Ack. The same goes for Leon Ford as Hillbilly Jones. Ack-Ack’s speech to Sledge really appealed to me, giving me this sudden idea of making this banner that I now have as a KHQ signature. Of course, Hillbilly Jones stabbing one of his deranged men with all the other Marines on witness also came off as a shock. I thought they were just going to hit the guy with something, but… that truly was horrifying. What really startled me was Daniels “counting the Japs” across the airfield when there really weren’t any Jap in sight (in fact there weren't any throughout the entire episode). It was was morose having to wonder how much more sanity had been taken toll on just because of this war.

Gunny Haney of course, never failed to amuse me. I thought it was funny that Sledge was sort of interjecting (“I have dog. His name’s Dickon[?]”) when Gunny was explaing how he never trust the army dog they brought along. And then he uttered “Woof!” afterwards. Ha-ha. Another entertaining part was when the guys found themselves a barrel of pork chop. Dextrose was even mandatory during the night.

The last words uttered by Runner in this episode were rather vague, but the most heartbreaking part must have been the last scene. Perhaps I have just gotten accustomed to seeing Leckie, Chuckler, Hoosier and Runner all sitting and cracking with each other. Leckie and Runner both met at the medical ship. I practically smiled when Leckie was forking through his peaches and someone called out his old nickname. I knew it was gping to be Runner, but I was a bit dismayed that Hoosier and Chuckler weren’t with him. Chuckler probably still is in Peleliu but we’re still left to wonder about his actual fate. Even Leckie thought it would be wonderful to not think about the war for some time; he even asked Runner to take him out on deck so they can have some fresh air. It was a depressing sight seeing the two together, physically broken. Leckie seemed to be distressed himself, and Runner was a little vexed. I doubt I would be seeing any of these guys in the next episode. It wouldn’t be the same if that happens, but at least we will see character development with Sledge and his friends. Also, John Basilone hadn’t shown himself again throughout the whole affair.

It isn’t my favorite episode. It was unsettling and depressing, in fact. But it really got me, and that has to count for something. In Part Seven, the Marines will be moving to Peleliu Hills.


Happy Birthday, James Badge Dale. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment